Could you add support for converting the reconstruction data from Hyperlapse Pro's 'Advanced Smoothing' to PLY?

May 18, 2015 at 11:58 AM
Edited May 18, 2015 at 12:58 PM
Microsoft's Hyperlapse Pro shipped last week and its 'Advanced Smoothing' uses structure from motion to solve for the camera positions, except at larger scale than Photosynth (although it appears to still be skipping quite a number of frames).

By visiting %temp%\Hyperlapse, you can find a folder per video that you've successfully completed Advanced Smoothing on, which contains (in my first test) the following files:

cameras.dat
cameras_input.dat
log_VIDEOTITLE.txt
Microsoft.Research.Hyperlapse.Desktop.Calibrations.CAMERAMANUFACTURER_MODEL_extended.txt
path.dat
points.dat
points_input.dat
proxies.dat
report.txt
sources.dat
stats.csv

The point cloud, camera positions, and depth maps would, per usual, be interesting to export, hopefully in such a way that all three could be viewed together in Meshlab with pyramids/frusta representing the camera positions.

Also, if you save a Hyperlapse project file (.hyp) it will contain:
cameras.dat
HyperlapseVersion.dat
path.dat
points.dat
ProjectInfo.dat
proxies.dat
sources.dat
stats.csv
Coordinator
May 18, 2015 at 2:55 PM
I haven't had the chance to try Hyperlapse yet, the videos of my camera seem not to be compatible with it. If you want you can upload a sample project file or zip the temp directory up for me and I'll take a look at what could be exported and how.